Family Research Council and Call2Fall have an outstanding prayer guide on how to pray strategically for this issue. This includes specific insights and prayer points for individual Supreme Court Justices based on how they have ruled in the past etc. Some of the prayer points below are based on this guide.
Heart Preparation: Repentance and Humility
· As we begin our prayers over this issue, we humble ourselves before You, Lord. We acknowledge that Jesus Christ loves and died on the cross for all those who are caught in a homosexual lifestyle or who struggle with this temptation.
· We acknowledge that we, the church, have not always reached out to these ones who need our acceptance, love, and help. For this we ask forgiveness, Lord. We acknowledge the hurt and pain that many families have suffered in this regard, and ask that You, Lord, extend Your healing and grace to each broken family.
· We further acknowledge that marriage between one man and one woman is Your original design … that this is the foundation of a healthy family and the very fabric of a stable society. It is from this position of humility and truth that we address this issue in prayer today.
Supreme Court Justices
· You are a Judicial God, deeply concerned with laws and our human legal system. You are the Lawgiver, the Advocate, and the Judge of the earth; the very foundation of Your throne is righteousness and justice.
· We therefore invite YOUR MANIFEST PRESENCE O Lord, to the chambers of the US Supreme Court, even now, that no demonic influence would be welcome or able to remain and that angels would stand watch over these men and women.
· We fervently cry out to You for each Justice of the Court and for our Supreme Court as a whole! Remind them of the limits of their authority under the Constitution and restrain them from overstepping that boundary. Help them to judge wisely and humbly.
· Please would You pour out a spirit of wisdom and revelation to rest on each of them and that as the book of James tells us, the wisdom from above, not the wisdom from below, would prevail. Thank you that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Back: Sonia Sotomayor, Stephen G. Breyer, Samuel A. Alito, Elena Kagan.
Front: Clarence Thomas, Antonin Scalia, Chief Justice John Roberts, Anthony Kennedy, Ruth Bader Ginsburg
· May those Justices who fear You, prepare and rule in the fear of the Lord. “The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spoke to me, He that rules over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.” (2 Sam 23:3)
· May the literal fear of God fall upon those Justices who currently do not fear You. “Now therefore, O kings, show discernment; take warning, O judges of the earth. Worship the LORD with reverence and rejoice with trembling.” (Ps 2:10 – 11)
· May the fear of God be upon each member’s staff: their clerks, their assistants, their friends, their families and all who influence them. Shield them from any ungodly influence or pressure to redefine marriage, now and over the next few months.
· May they collectively sense the very power and presence of God hovering over them, warning them of The Lord’s righteousness and justice; warning them that they must give an account to the Supreme Judge of the WORLD for their actions.
· May they receive powerful visions and dreams that shake them to their core - just like Abimelech, Pharaoh, Pilate’s wife, Belshazzar; Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar, warning them of what will come to pass if they rule wrongly in this important case. May they be shown the consequences of their decision.
Attorneys for the same-sex couples: Mary L. Bonauto and Doug Hallward-Driemeier
· “For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” (Eph 6:12, NLT) Recognizing that this is first and foremost a spiritual battle, we take a stand against dark forces that would empower and advance any agenda that undermines biblical marriage and religious freedom in our nation.
· We pray that You would open the eyes of these attorneys in a “Damascus road” encounter with You! Like Paul, who was zealously persecuting the church and was completely transformed into a great apostle, we pray for a life-changing shift for these attorneys. Thank you that nothing is impossible with You, God!
· As they encounter the truth, would You shake the very foundation of their legal arguments and make them even doubt what they are saying. We pray that they will be conflicted in their spirits and in their thinking and unable to persuade themselves (inwardly) or the Justices.
Attorneys defending the state’s marriage laws: John J. Bursch and Joseph L. Whalen
· We pray for the attorneys as they prepare what will certainly be the case of their lives. May they be given unmistakable peace that passes all understanding in their preparation and when they stand to present their case on April 28 – perfect peace and calm, unfettered by any anxiety from within or without!
· We ask for your angelic protection over them and we bind any confusion, discouragement, depression, or fear that the enemy would send against them. May they know God’s full protection giving them safety and preserving them from harm, accidents, assaults, extortion or threats (like we saw in Indiana), and every other danger.
· Like Daniel and his friends, we pray that they would experience a supernatural strength and that You would give them wisdom and eloquence that far exceeds natural ability! “In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times betterthan all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom.” (Dan. 1:20)
· May Your presence and the power of the Holy Spirit anoint them to speak with great conviction and clarity. May their arguments be authoritative and convincing to the court, and to the nation — such as no man can refute. May their words be so weighty that they will ring in men’s ears even after court is concluded.
“The Supreme Court should resist the temptation to impose its moral values on marriage through raw judicial power, as it did with abortion through Roe v. Wade. The judicial branch is being asked to undertake a power grab unmoored from the Constitution, history, self-government, and judicial restraint. Simply put, under our republican form of government, the Supreme Court has no power to invalidate laws protecting traditional marriage under the United States Constitution.“
- Judicial Watch
This is Roe v. Wade all over again. I am standing shoulder to shoulder with all who will stand up for God’s Word concerning marriage.
- Dr. James Dobson (Founder, Family Talk Radio)
Outrageous penalties are now being assessed against people of faith and conviction who haven’t changed their position on marriage. Rather it’s the courts that have changed the definitions, the rules, and laws that now govern us. They are ruling against Nature’s Law and Nature’s God. Christians are being declared the lawbreakers when we are simply living by what we have always believed, and by a set of laws that the culture historically has agreed to.
-Rick Scarborough (President, Vision America Action)
“The implications of the coming Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage could be the biggest blow in recent history to religious freedom in America.”
- Rick Joyner (Founder, MorningStar Ministries)
Once you elevate same-sex marriage to the level of protected status, whether on the federal or the state level, you begin to change and transform the face of society. In my view, it will result in the beginning of the end of Western Civilization.
- Mat Staver (Founder, Liberty Counsel)
Thank you for praying! Our 9 Supreme Court Justices literally hold the fate of religious freedom for millions of Christians and Christian businesses and ministries in their hands.
1 Tim 2:2 instructs us to pray for all who are in authority if we are to live peaceful and godly lives. Praying for leaders and those in positions of influence and power is one of the most strategic things we can do!
Learn how you can pray for leaders effectively at our upcoming Watchmen Training event, Saturday, May 2.